Congratulations on your pregnancy!
We take a comprehensive approach to every pregnancy which means we are available at every stage from pre-conception counseling and early detection of pregnancy through the post- partum period. We offer high risk pregnancy consultation, management and delivery.
Our Birthing Center
Here’s a guide of what to expect throughout your visits over the next 40 weeks!
- We will have you meet with each of our five obstetricians at least once before delivery.
- For every visit, please be prepared to leave a urine sample.
- Please note that every patient and pregnancy is unique and special. Therefore, some items may vary per appointment.
First Trimester: Conception to 12 weeks
- For your first visit, we like to see you when you are around 7 weeks pregnant. We will perform an ultrasound for dating purposes and by the end of the first trimester a fetal heartbeat will be present to hear.
- We will then schedule you for your first prenatal appointment at approximately 8 weeks of pregnancy. At this visit you will meet with a registered nurse. She will obtain a detailed medical history, review early pregnancy education, and what to expect with in the first couple months of your pregnancy. We will also draw blood work at this time.
- Your next appointment will be scheduled at approximately 12 weeks of pregnancy. You will meet with one of our obstetrician’s who will perform a gynecological exam. You will also be able to hear the baby’s heartbeat for the first time at this visit.
- You can expect to have monthly prenatal checkups throughout your first trimester.
Second Trimester: 12 weeks to 28 weeks
- Your prenatal visits will continue once per month (unless otherwise specified) at your best convenience.
- Around 18 weeks, we will schedule you for an ultrasound to evaluate the fetal anatomy and if you would like to know, the baby’s gender may also be able to be determined at this time.
- Around 28 weeks of pregnancy we will test you for gestational diabetes with a glucose challenge test.
Third Trimester: 28 weeks to 40 weeks
- Your prenatal checkups become more frequent as you come closer to delivery. After your 28 week appointment you will return again at 31 weeks, 33, 35, 37 and then weekly until your delivery.
- Between 35-37 weeks we will test you for GBS (Group B Strep)
- At this time we would ask you to choose a pediatrician for your new bundle of joy.
- We may also begin to evaluate your cervix (by internal examination) for effacement (thinning) and dilation (opening).
- Around this time we recommend touring the labor & delivery suites at the hospital to familiarize yourself with where your delivery will be taking place. The hospital offers tours on a regular basis. Please call 978-287-3268 for more information and to register for a tour.
- For an uncomplicated vaginal delivery the delivering obstetrician will see you 6 weeks after your delivery. Cesarean deliveries will be followed by a 2 week incision check with a registered nurse and then again at 6 weeks with the delivering obstetrician.
- We will discuss your plan for birth control methods.
- Please bring your newest addition along with you or a picture for us to post on our Concord OB/GYN Baby Wall of Fame! We are proud of every baby that we help to deliver!